Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Magical Moon Festival!!!


Just in case you were wondering, I will be celebrating Moon Festival next September. This holiday was just FANTASTIC!! These people know how to party and it couldn't have come at a better time! Here is how our day went...

This is a party we went to last night with a couple of our students families. Ummm..... may I just ask why Americans got so freaking jipped on their whole metabolism and fat storage thing? These people can EAT!!! Really though. EAT!! Another teacher and I came late with the secretaries from our school, we got there about 7:30, but 2 of the other teachers got there at 4:30, we got home about 11:30. Ya.... long time. I know. But you know what we did basically the ENTIRE time? Oh ya, just eat. and eat. and eat. and eat. and eat. stop for fireworks. and eat. and eat. I don't understand these are the smallest people in the world, literally average weight of a grown-up in like 110, no jokie. We got jipped!!
I really love going on these home visits. It's so cool to be able to see what families are really like and be so totally and completely submeressed in their culture. I love trying their food, and let me just say I made a doofus of myself a couple of times that night. I don't know how they eat some of the stuff! There not out on the picture above but they were talking about these mushrooms and how good they were. they brought them out and set them in front of me. So what else do you think I would do? I took one and started to eat it. Well apparently that was a really stupid idea and they all busted up laughing because apparently you HAVE to COOK it before you eat it. Whoops. Secondly, yep you wouldn't think eating food would be that difficult but there was more than one instance where I made a fool of myself. Surprise surprise. They gave us some fruit, I have no idea what this fruit is called but it's specific for moon festival and it looks like a really BIG pear but the inside tastes and looks more like a grapefruit. Well, they handed me over a big ol' hunk of it, so I stuck it in my mouth. Duh! What else would you do. Well, bad idea. You have to peel the outside skin off of it and get the fruit inside the little covering thing. oops. Who knew eating food would be so difficult?
But other than that most of the food was pretty good: oyster balls, rice sausages, sausage, chicken, clam and mushroom soup, nectarines, yummy chinese chips that look like cinnanmon toast crunch, and some of thee SPICYEST food i've ever eaten! (I thought I was going to keel over, literally)


Cute little man. Kids are the same worldwide. They THRIVE on fireworks.
(like the sick short-shorts he's sportin?)


On Wednesday we went to explore the nearby city of TaiChung. What a joy. We found this cool temple. Old meets new here. I wish I would've read the history behind this puppy but un-fortunately I can't read Chinese and we have no idea what this place is, so I can't look up the history online.


I think I should definitely pursue a career in Buddha mimicking modelling.


Da da da DAh!! Cute little Buddha we found! (this picture doesn't show it too well but he is really large i'd say at least 50 ft. tall) Of course I had to give the cute little guy some lovin.


For dinner we went to this lovely restaurant at the top of the mountain in ChangHua. It was lovely and we could see all the fireworks going on for miles! it was AWESOME!! Imagine all the little families that do fireworks in their driveway but, make all of those illegal fireworks shooting in the sky! We could see them all! It was incredible.

Dinner obviously is a little difficult to order. We weren't sure what we were getting, is all I knew was chicken.... This was the first course. They really just don't get salad, i can't explain what kind of dressing was on that puppy but it was interesting, and the soup? Oh ya that's just some campbells cream of chicken soup, don't worry.


Like I said, I got chicken..... what part of the chicken that was is a mystery to all. On the bright side the broccoli and carrot was really good though!!

So there ya have it! A brief summary of the lovely Sun Moon Festival! Pretty great day i'd say. I wish we had one every week!

No comments:

Post a Comment